Carnegie House Official Opening 1899

The 20th Century

Carnegie house, for private patients opened in 1899. A brochure describing its attractions and a brief history of the Hospital was commissioned by the Managers to mark the occasion, and was written by Mr. James Ross. A copy can be seen in Montrose Public Library. Ravenswood was now given up, but Carnegie House did not solve the continuing problems of overcrowding. Numbers reached 670 by 1900, and two "detached villas" were built in quick succession, Howden Villa being completed in 1901 and Northesk Villa in 1904.

Inevitably more staff accommodation was also needed, and Westmount Cottages were added in 1904, and a house for the head attendant followed in 1906.Dr. Havelock, in his report of 1905, noted the arrival on the scene. of a "new disorder" known as "motor mania", a condition said to be induced by tile "strain of driving mechanically propelled vehicles on the roads". Keeping up with the times, he also noted in 1913 that "victims of so called religious mania are becoming less numerous" and this type of patient "is represented nowadays by the no less unhappy being who thinks that his neighbours persecute him by wireless telephony or that his nervous system is being destroyed by electric discharges emanating from the aeroplanes which hover above us".

The Royal Charter

In 1913, the Royal Charter of the hospital was amended to give greater representation to the District Lunacy Boards and Parish Councils of Forfar and Kincardine, presumably because it was felt that the town of Montrose exercised undue influence on the questions of admissions, rates of board, etc_ The amendment to the Charter also saw the final disjunction of the Asylum and the Infirmary in Montrose, which now received a Royal Charter of its own.

 Carnegie House In 1939
.